Let’s fix those hormones
News Alert: the quality of your life does not have to go down as we age!!! The imbalance of hormones at any age as well as the natural reduction in hormone levels as we get older results in a myriad of symptoms – and we feel it!
The symptom that we are going to focus on this month is the decline in sexual health. As our sex hormones start decreasing in our 30’-40’s often so does the quality of one’s sex life. This can present differently for everyone, both men and women.
Ladies first. Let’s talk about hormones
Did you know that two-thirds of women in perimenopause – which can last for a decade prior to menopause- experience a reduction in sexual pleasure? Combine this with the daily grind of living the dream, physical intimacy commonly goes on the back burner. This can lead to tension in our personal relationships and we lose the anti-aging and stress reduction benefits that an active and healthy sex life provides. If you can relate please know that you are not alone.
So, what now?
- Replace with bio-identical testosterone in appropriate patients. In addition to the overall benefits such as increased muscle mass, vitality, and skin elasticity you can also receive localized benefits. When testosterone cream is put on the labia and vulva it causes vasodilation (increased blood flow). This increased blood flow leads to a “profound” increase in sensation.
- Replace with bio-identical estradiol in post-menopausal women. Systemic replacement commonly improves atrophy and dryness that a woman may be experiencing. Topical estradiol can be applied vaginally for more severe cases or until systemic levels become optimized.
- O-shot or Orgasm Shot®, is a sexual rejuvenation and enhancement procedure for women. The o-shot is a non-surgical treatment to natural sexual enhancement and urinary incontinence.
The procedure utilizes growth factors extracted from a sample of your own blood. Stimulating new tissue growth within the clitoris and vagina. This process utilizes PRP, or platelet-rich plasma, a nutrient-rich portion of your own blood. It acts as a natural growth factor, which makes the O-shot safe and natural.
- Vitamin D3 is important to testosterone production. 5,000-10,000n units daily.
- Zinc deficiency can cause low testosterone levels. Zinc orotate supplementation can support testosterone production.
- Exercise is a simple testosterone booster. HIIT training is ideal and do not forget to giver yourself recovery time in between your work outs.
- Minimizing processed foods and consider time restricted eating.
- DHEA is a precursor to testosterone and can be helpful in the appropriate patient.
I would be remiss if I did not mention the toll that stress, lack of sleep, diet, toxins, and emotional components take on the quality of one’s sexual health. For the sake of this newsletter, we are focusing on the hormonal component. 😉
Now, hormones for the Men. let’s talk about andropause aka male menopause aka testosterone deficiency.
This describes the age-related decline in male hormone levels. Testosterone levels tend to decline 1 percent per year after the age of 30. Some health conditions such as hypertension, insulin resistance, stress, lack of sleep, and diabetes. Triggering more drastic declines in testosterone levels and erectile function. The lack of blood flow to the penis affects the quality of a man’s erection. The strength of a man’s erections is a significant indicator of how well you are doing from an anti-aging perspective. It is important to identify the underlying cause of ED.
*Simply taking a pill to get an erection does not mean that you solved the core problem.
So, what now?
- Testosterone hormone replacement provides a consistent delivery system to avoid peaks and troughs in testosterone levels.
- GAINSWave is a treatment that uses a high-intensity acoustic wave that breaks up the micro plaques in existing blood vessels. It stimulates the growth of new blood vessels and nerves when applied to the genitals. This leads to increased blood flow, which improves sexual function.
- The P-Shot (Priapus shot) involves taking platelet-rich plasma (PRP) from your blood and injecting it into your penis. Your own cells and tissues are strategically injected into your penile tissues. This promotes tissue growth and purportedly give you better erections.
- Nitric Oxide (NO) is a supplement that relaxes and dilates the blood vessels in the genitals. This has been proven to increase sensation and support the quality of an erection. (A bonus is that it can help to lower blood pressure as well). Neo 40 is a reputable brand. The amino acid L arginine is a precursor to Nitric acid is an alternative to N0.
- Micronized DHEA is a precursor to testosterone. 25-50 mg per day is recommended.
- Avoid stress – we know that is easier said than done.
- Exercising including HIIT training and paying attention to recovery in between workouts.
- Control blood pressure. Evaluate blood pressure medications that you are taking as some may be contributing to symptoms of ED.
Treatment plans should be personalized as everyone is coming to the table with different contributing factors. Reach out to us so we can discuss hormone treatment options that are specific to you. There is no need to accept a decline in your sexual health as it is a vital component. Maintain quality of life and adding more life to your years!